Whether they are new, or have been in use for years, every air compressor user will one day have air compressor problems and fixes.
This page lists by category many of the common problems air compressors have, provides solutions for most of them, and then offers a comment section on each page to allow visitors to add advice where they can, and to ask questions on that topic when they are looking for air compressor problems and fixes and some guidance about how to do that.
Scroll down, have a look, and visit the page(s) that will help you solve the air compressor issue you are having. Got a tip for another compressor user? Please leave a post on the appropriate page.
General air compressor issues
Compressor air leaks
Compressor will not start / will not stop – run issues
- air compressor will not start
- air compressor will not stop
- air compressor runs and runs
- air compressor gets very loud
- air compressor cycles on and off all the time
- air compressor just hums
- air compressor will not start when cold
- compressor trips the breaker when restarting
- compressor will not restart when air is used
- new pressure switch and still the compressor won’t stop
Electrical motor and power issues
- compressor is blowing fuses & breakers
- compressor wiring problem
- the lights dim when the air compressor starts
- compressor trips breaker on pressure drop
- how to find a replacement compressor capacitor
- a clicking air compressor
- compressor just hums
- breaker trips when compressor restarts
- air compressor motor thermal cut out
Parts and repair issues
Pressure and flow problems
- compressor has low outlet pressure
- I get only a short burst of air
- I need more air out of my compressor
- do I need a larger air line?
- I get no air out of the air hose
- what’s the difference between PSI & CFM?
- compressor will not build pressure
- will my air compressor take off lug nuts?
- is my air hose too long?
Pressure relief valve issues
Pressure switch problems and solutions
Tank check valve issues
Unloader valve problems